you really never know what you are going to get. So when I dig into a box of chocolates, I really hate it when I pick a piece of chocolate that has a cherry filling in the middle. It is just gross! Well since life is like a box of chocolates, I had one of those cherry filling chocolate days today. This week has been a pretty awful week at work. The Jordan School District Special Education department decided that they are all of a sudden 7 million dollars in debt and that they need to make lots of cuts. Well, I was one of those cuts because I've only been with the district for 2 years, which is not long enough to get tenure. Deep down, I felt like this was coming, but I was really hoping it wasn't. The school I work at has been so wonderful. I'm not going to complain about the Jordan School District, even though I would love to, but it is not going to do me any good at this point. I am a firm believer in that things happen for a reason. Better things are in store for me. I guess I'm needed somewhere else, I just wish I knew where that somewhere else was.
This week has put a little more perspective in my life. I was talking to my teaching assistants about what was happening within the district and at work and it just made us think of what we take for granted in life. For example, our cars, food, jobs, and even our families. We also always wish for it to be the weekend. So does that mean we are always wishing our life away? We always say that life goes by so fast, then why wish for the weekend to come? Thinking about these things has made me want to be more positive and happy.
This week my students have been so good at making me smile. They love to sing and dance. Well one of their favorite songs to sing along to is the bare necessities from the Jungle Book.
Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature's recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life
Wherever I wander, wherever I roam
I couldn't be fonder of my big home
The bees are buzzin' in the tree
To make some honey just for me
When you look under the rocks and plants
And take a glance at the fancy ants
Then maybe try a few
The bare necessities of life will come to you
They'll come to you!
So, I am going to forget about my worries and look for the bare necessities of life and maybe I will have a caramel chocolate day!
Friday, May 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Steph, thank you for your wisdom!!! I needed that today because today was a chocolate filled chocolate kinda day for me as well :( I don't know if I can go as far as wishing it was monday but I too, will look for the bare necessities and have a rum filled chocolate kinda day instead :) I love you... all will be well.
ReplyDeleteSteph! What an emotional ride we are beginning. Just thinking about it as I type this brings tears to my eyes. I am sad that this whole thing has to happen but I am with you that there is nothing that we can do about it and we have to just gone on being grateful for all the things we do have. It was so much fun at the dance today hanging out with you and just breaking loose and having fun. For that hour nothing else mattered in my mind but to have fun with the amazing students who have made me smile for the past 2 years. I will be forever grateful for the friends I have made and for the experience we have shared. You will find where you are suppose to be (we all will) and you will change more of the lives of others around you. You are a fabulous teacher! You will be missed greatly! Thanks for your cute post and example!
ReplyDeleteAhh Forrest Gump references. Did you get that from Dad? He mentioned today that you should be like Forrest Gump and when something goes wrong, just run and keep running! haha
ReplyDeleteI'm really sorry to hear about your job. I know you'll get through, but it just couldn't have come at a worse time right? With your teeth and all? Good luck and best wishes. I hope you can find another job and at least get through school.
That's ok; you can move to Paonia! The Delta middle school is looking for a "special education generalist" -- whatever that is. Do it do it do it! :)
ReplyDeleteI think the caramel filled chocolates better than the cherry ones anyway. Sorry about the job. And don't listen to Holly....NC is way better!
ReplyDelete