Basketball coach- check
College instructor- check
Half Ironman- check
Thesis defense- May 24th
Last day of school- June 2nd
Last final for degree- June 15th
Wooo! Yay, almost done!
As for my Half Ironman, it was the hardest thing that I have ever done in one day. Florida was the perfect place to do my first Half Ironman because of the warm weather, warm water, Disney World, and wonderful family to stay with (Thanks Amanda and Devin!).
I was most worried about the swim, but it wasn't too bad. The water was perfect! I think I swam over a mile because I am one of those zig zag swimmers. The people in the canoes watching us had to keep telling me to get back on course! I yelled, "I'm trying!" The bike part was going great until the last 10 miles. When I saw the 46 mile sign I was like, "FINALLY!" But, 10 miles against the wind was not fun. Finally, when I was getting close to the transition, people were yelling, "You're almost done!" I was thinking, "Not quite! I still have to run a half marathon!" The first 4 miles of the run were like torture. I didn't think I could finish, but I kept a goal in mind. I had to run in between every water stop, but at the water stop I could walk for about a minute. The support from my mom and Brett also helped me finish at around 6 1/2 hours.
Right after the race I was feeling pretty good, but about 5 minutes after the race I was laying on the grass hyperventilating. My arms, hands, and face went numb and I felt like throwing up. Brett didn't know what to do with me. My mom started force feeding me, so I eventually got some calories in me by eating a banana, 2 pieces of pizza, and lots of gatorade. I also had a nice 10 minute massage. I felt a lot better after that. My heart-rate monitor said that I lost 6,000 calories, so my body was probably just in shock. I am definitely planning on doing another Half Ironman, but I don't think I will ever do a full Ironman. That might be too crazy for me. Here are some pictures of the event.
Setting up my transition area at 5:00am.

Right before the race started. I have never been so nervous.

Swimming.

Start of bike.


Almost done!

Soooo close!


Road to Kona!
you are superwoman! How the heck do you get it all done and still be so cheery and full of energy? congratulations, that half marathon thing is crazy, I would never ever be able to do it. Good job!
ReplyDeleteSteph! You are amazing! I have been wondering when the crazy day was. You have been training for so long I cannot believe that it already came and went. You are so incredible! I cannot imagine what that would be like. What an accomplishment! SO proud of you! Good luck wrapping up the end of year stuff too, you are so close to checking off all of the things on your to-do list. Are you going back to So. Jordan middle next year to teach? As soon as this baby comes we HAVE to get together this summer, I have missed you so much!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Steph! So proud of you! I cannot believe you did a half iron man, that is seriously impressive. Good luck with your tests and the last few weeks of class.
ReplyDeleteYou guys should come visit us this summer!
I am so impressed Stephanie!! Nice job!!! What a wonderful accomplishment. What a year for you. I bet it will feel so great when your checklist is all checked off, you should give yourself a fun relaxing vacation!! You are amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteWow Stephanie what a busy year! How in the world did you find time to train? Great job on the race...much warmer than Bear Lake I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteUNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! I am beyond impressed!!! Way to go, Miss Iron Woman!!! SO PROUD of your ability to endure and make it through. You've set an example for all of us....even if we never even think of attempting anything close to a half iron man!!!
ReplyDeleteLove to both of you! Jane
You did it!!! Wow - I'm super impressed! Can't wait to see you on Saturday.
ReplyDeleteGirl! You have accomplished so much! Way to go! I think you could do anything!!
ReplyDeleteWow. Impressive year.
ReplyDeleteSteph you are such an over achiever!!! I'm so proud of you. I wish I could be half of the super woman you are. Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteSteph you look great! I'm so excited for you and all the amazing things you are up to. I miss all of you guys and am sad I won't be at graduation. That's my first week of school and my thesis is not moving very quickly (if at all). Enjoy your summer. Miss ya and congrats on the tri. That's AMAZING!!
ReplyDelete