Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1EZLNEeyD Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz16vJTeXhk

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Crafty Summer and Recipes

This summer has been such an amazing summer for me because I have taken the time to enjoy things that I like to do. I have really enjoyed being able to express my talents. I am kind of sad that school is going to start next week because I won't have as much time to do crafty things. However, my friend, Janeth, and I have decided to put a day aside every month to do crafts. Here are some things that I have done.

I took a class by poppyseedprojects.com with my good friend Lindsay and put together this amazing temple picture! It was so much fun. This picture is really big. It is 26"X 32."


I also made silk scarves with my mom. If my mom and I lived closer to each other we would probably do art stuff everyday!


I also got into watch band making. Here are a couple of bands that I have made.




I also got into baking. I love to watch the Cake Boss on TLC and it inspired me to make a cake for my sister Calli. I would love to make more cakes, but baking cakes is expensive to make just for everyday fun, so if anybody wants a cake made just ask!
For Calli's cake I made a strawberry swirl cake with strawberries and chocolate ganache filling.

So on the Cake Boss, they always steam their fondant to make it look shiny. I don't have a steamer, so Brett and I decided to try using our iron to steam the cake. Yeah, it didn't really work!




For the past year, I have been looking at grocery ads to make a weekly menu. I have to make a menu of what we are going to have for the week or else I won't cook anything because I wouldn't have anything planned. Lately, I've been wanting to try new recipes. Brett and I got a library card and I've been checking out lots of cooking books. I have been typing the recipes, so that I don't have to buy a book! I decided that I didn't want all of the recipes on my computer because it is hard to cook while looking at a computer, so I decided to make a recipe box. I have been scrapbooking a bunch of recipes. I have to thank my mom for letting me have some of her scrapbooking papers. It has made this project pretty cheap! Here is what I've done.




I'm going to start posting our weekly menu if you want some good recipes to try. If you have any suggestions or good recipes for Brett and I to try, I would love to here from you!
Here is this weeks menu!

Saturday: Tomato Basil Penne, Rolls, Caesar Salad
Sunday: Korean Fried Chicken, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli
Monday: Going out with friends
Tuesday: Brinner! German Pancakes, Fruit
Wednesday: Birthday Party!
Thursday: Camping
Friday: Camping

The Tomato Basil Penne was really good. Here is the recipe.


3 cups penne pasta
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
3-4 roma or plum tomatoes, chopped
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Cooked chicken
1/2 cup garlic bread crumbs (opt.)

Cook penne according to package directions. Melt butter. Stir flour into butter while cooking until a smooth paste forms. Slowly stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Add basil, salt, pepper, and cream, and continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Stir in tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and penne, and chicken. Turn into greased baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs (if desired). Broil for 5 minutes or until bread crumbs start to turn golden brown.

*I didn't add the garlic bread crumbs. I added a little bit of garlic powder instead. I also put some chopped up parsley in the pasta for color and taste!

1 comment:

  1. Such cute Crafts! Looks at you missy! Ya so summer is almost over and what happened to us hanging out???? Its okay though, we can still do it! We cant stop trying :). I love all of your fun projects that you have been able to do, I want to be crafty like you. I love how your temple picture turned out. I also am so glad that you are going to be posting some fun recipes, I am ALWAYS looking for new things to try and cook.

    ReplyDelete